Friday, February 7, 2020

7A- Testing the Hypothesis Part 1

Coronavirus Prevention

Opportunity: The coronavirus has been taking the world by storm, striking the people with fear due to to people eating and/or getting bitten by animals that have a high chance of carrying zoonotic diseases.
The who: The people of China
The what: They are susceptible to coronavirus because it's a zoonotic disease
The why: People are eating and/or getting bitten by animals that carry such diseases

Testing the who: There are others who have this need. In fact, the whole world has this need.
Testing the what: Zoonotic diseases have the ability to transmit through a variety of ways. All diseases such as the coronavirus are a challenge to treat. It's even more of a dire situation as those who now have the illness are running out of time due to the fact that there is no medications. This is a growing epidemic.
Testing the why: I'm not entirely sure why people persist on eating animals that carry zoonotic diseases such as, bats. There are ways to combat viruses such as the coronavirus and to stop others from appearing. This opportunity would push to ensure the safety and health of countless of people worldwide.

Interview #1:
I interviewed a first year student in the Reitz union. He believed that everyone is at risk of the coronavirus due to how easily it spreads. The interviewee also states that it's a challenge to treat because, it's an epidemic. When asked why people have the desire to eat things that carry zoonotic diseases, he states that people would eat anything with enough spices.

Interview #2:
I interviewed a young woman. She believes that the people in China are the ones most in danger and also that the virus isn't as big as people are making it out to be. She states that the virus shouldn't be difficult to treat if people were to be more cautious of what they ate.

Interview #3:
I interviewed an aspiring nurse. She also believes that only the people in China is at risk for this disease. She states that the challenge is difficult to treat to minimize the virus because, of how easily it can spread even during times of treatment. She also believes that people continue to eat animals that carry the diseases because, they didn't know beforehand and/or it simply tastes good.

Interview #4
I interviewed a 4th year student who is going to begin dental school this coming fall. He states that the virus is overall dangerous and that all humans lives are at stake. He believes that it is a great challenge to treat the virus due to scientists not knowing exactly where to begin the treatment. The interviewee also believes that some people are eating animals with zoonotic diseases against their will and/or that it's the only thing they have available to eat.

Interview #5
I interviewed a volunteer at Shands Hospital. She thinks that the virus is truly heartbreaking and that many lives are at danger due to it being an epidemic. The virus has the ability of being contained if quarantine sections are placed. She also says that people eat what is available to them.

  From the interviews, I was able to perceive different perspectives from everyone regarding why people ate zoonotic diseased animals but, they all had in common that the virus was dangerous. They did seem frightened at the fact of how easily the virus could spread. The real eye opener for me was, the volunteer at Shands Hospital. She touched upon the resolution of having quarantine sections which, is actually being done currently. I believe this has the chance of greatly minimizing the disease from spreading like wildfire as we get closer to making proper treatment.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a great job capturing the concern of those who you interviewed . I do think this virus will be contained like most virus's of this scale like ebola. The main concern with the virus seems to be how fast it could spread due to how contagious it is. I do believe that as a society we need to stop eating animals that can cause this virus so such outbreaks do not happen and hurt the world as a whole

    ReplyDelete